Tuesday, February 25, 2014

10 Tips to Take Shopping with You


{Image via tumblr}

1. TAKE INVENTORY OF YOUR CLOSET

I always seem to magically forget what's in my closet while shopping.  I'd bring home random pieces that send me right back to the store to either return them or to buy something else to go with them.  Making a list of my favorite items allows me to pick things that compliment what I already own.  Better yet, take a photo on your phone of those things - it's like having your closet in your pocket.  



2. GET INSPIRED

Do you get a high after reading Vogue and HarperBazar?  I do.  I almost want to take out a pen and paper and start taking notes.  I also want to run out and buy everything I see!  This is scary because an $1,800 piece of jewelry really doesn't fit in my budget ;)  Luckily, those same magazines give you options for less expensive items.  Find a trend that you love and make it your own.  "Fashion is not necessarily about labels.  It's not about brands.  It's about something that comes from within you."  - Ralph Lauren


{Image via pinterest}

3. SET A GOAL

What are you shopping for?  If you're headed out in need of tops, don't come home with only bottoms.  For some reason I always end up leaving the store with dresses when I am in desperate need of blouses!  Even if they're on sale, always buy what you need first and what you want second.  I'm preaching to the choir! 




4. EAT FIRST, SHOP AFTER (OR SIMULTANEOUSLY) 

Who can concentrate on an empty, growling stomach? Not me!  Before you know it I'm buying overpriced, or really ugly bargains just because it's on sale.  Most of the time I forget this step, but I always do the "grab and go".  Granola bars and coconut water are this girls best friends!



{Image via vitoria's secret}

5. BRING BACKUP

If your headed out to purchase what will be your most prized possession, you need to bring or wear your most prized undergarments.  Believe me, I've tried on a beautiful dress only to be let down by my unsightly panty line and bra strap.  Lipstick and hair accessories should be tucked into your purse too!


{Image via pinterest}

6. SHOP WITH A FRIEND (OR NOT) 

I can go either way.  Friends make good soundboards, but may get annoyed if you're like me and take an hour to decide whether to get the blue or black skinny jeans and in the end you put them both back.  Take your phone with you and you'll have the best of both worlds - alone time, a camera, and your friend on speed dial. 




{Image via pinterest}

7. KNOW YOUR BUGDET AND STICK TO IT

No one wants to walk away from a jaw dropping dress that fits like a glove because you went home and realized that because of your purchase you can no longer pay rent.  Only buy what your budget allows.  "I like my money right where I can see it, hanging in my closet." - Carrie Bradshaw




{Image via anthropologie}

8. IS IT REALLY A BARGAIN? 

I have this problem.  I sometimes buy an item purely based on the fact that it's a bargain.  No one needs unattractive footwear because they were only $19.99.  I have done this and those sandals are still in my closet and have never been worn.  Is it really a bargain if you never wear them, ever? Save those pennies and buy what you will wear.  


9. BE WEARY OF SALES WOMEN ON A MISSION

Ever want to walk away from the nice sales lady trying to sell you that ridiculously overpriced parka, but you just can't?   Me, Me, Me! I don't want to make them feel bad, but I have mastered the smile and 'no thank you' down to a science.  Plus, some can be snooty!  I'll leave it to the professionals at Vogue Magazine and my favorite fashion blogs for guidance.



{Image via tumblr}

10. BRING CONFIDENCE

Shopping can be a daunting task for some - never having your size, comparing yourself to people around you... the list can go on and on.  "Fashion should be a form of escapism and not a form of imprisonment." - Alexander McQueen.  Some can feel so much pressure to look the part or like the beautiful people they see on t.v and in magazines when in fact, a lot of what we see is a mirage.  Fashion, in my opinion, is not meant to place rules and regulations on someone, but to allow that person to express themselves.  Being confident in the way God made you is the only way this can happen.  Never allow yourself to give materialistic things precedence over what truly matters.  I like this quote form Karl Lagerfeld - "When you hear designers complain about the challenges of their profession, you have to say: don't get carried away - it's only a dress."  So when your looking at yourself in the mirror of a dressing room with the worst possible lighting and you feel, to put it plain and simple, ugly, remember IT'S ONLY A DRESS! 

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Leave a Message

Love to hear from you!